First Baptist Church can trace its history back to the establishment of the Upper Tallapoosa Baptist Church in 1847. In 1875, the present site of the church at the corner of Dixie and Newnan Streets was built as a frame structure that was replaced by the brick building presently used as the Sanctuary in 1908. Many additions since include the first education building (the Annex) in 1928, the Benson Building in 1954, and Burns Hall in 1981. Renovations and updates to Burns Hall and the Benson Building with the Vision 2000 campaign provided better children’s ministry areas and handicapped access to Sunday school classes and the sanctuary. The latest renovation refreshed the Sanctuary and expanded the organ with the Praise/Faith Campaign of 2003.
Outreach projects of the First Baptist Church over the years have included helping establish First Baptist Church of Carrollton on Old Bremen Road in 1873 and the Carrollton Baptist Association in 1874. We created the first Sunday school in Carroll County in 1878 and formed the Women’s Missionary Union in 1890. With additions to our ministry such as The Place, our youth ministry center on S. White St., Open Hands United Christian Ministry on Newnan St., the addition of a second morning worship service in 2001, and yearly mission trips within the United States and in foreign countries, we hope to continue to expand and move forward on our goal to be “Caring People Sharing God’s Love”.